Saturday, May 3, 2014

Other Makeup Artists-- Friend or Foe??

Hello my lovelies! I have been trying to make a few posts lately and some how or another, I have had a few problems posting....so let me try posting this and see if I succeed! I wanted to touch base on a sensitive subject that may happen at least or several times in one's career as a makeup artist. Working in this industry, I come across many other professionals(other makeup artists, models, and photographers) and sometimes some things may happen that may become unfortunate and embarrassing to mention.


I am here to share a very true, maybe realistic situation that others could or have experienced. To start off, I have always loved meeting others and especially ones in my field. I have always thought and even imagined that being creative and artistic is a true talent that others could share and even work on together . With that being said, sometimes others have other intentions or ideas, that could jeopardize your career. I want to give you all some food for thought!


As a fellow makeup artist, sometimes we can choose to work with others on projects to help one another  and in helping to advertise our artistic abilities and skills. It may simple start off as someone contacting you, complimenting your work and wishing to work with you on a future project.....ok, I know how exciting right??
You begin to message or even speak over the phone and then decide to work on a project. Meeting them in person seems so exciting and new!


Beginning to know someone is a great way to make new friends along with sharing your thoughts and dreams. As time goes on....you begin to see things as confusing, not adding up, and even seek some type of validation or creditability on their part. Well this is where the lovely story ends---you find out that you have been scammed, victimized, and even stolen from this person. What do YOU DO NOW??


One quick answer would be to cut off all ties to this individual, but you decide to confront them--right?? So, you try to call them, they are no where to be found nor do they answer your messages. You become angry, hurt, and even blame yourself for this misfortune. However, I will tell you this--DO NOT BLAME YOURSELF!! These individuals have not only done this to you, but to many others also. They seem to be very outgoing, funny, and even share what may seem some personal things with you.


Shady people are everywhere and they seek others for their own personal gain. It could be another makeup artist, photographer, model and or someone else that falls into that field. Ok, so there is a life lesson here and one that may seem too painful to even admit that it may have happened to you! Well it did and has happened to me. I will have to say that thank goodness, I did not get further down the road with this liar and thief!


I may even live long enough to see justice served to this criminal mind master of disaster! I want to warn all artists to always make sure their work can not be stolen or used for anyone's else personal gain. Even a master mind like this will deny their involvement until it becomes law-breaking and they get caught in the process. Living in a fantasy world is what they live in, believing the image that they have tried to portray as REAL and even being done wrong themselves by others. Be aware of the warning signs, always check out their creditials ( I did check and I was still fooled) with others that they claim have worked with especially if they are celebrities.
Please know this though, not all artists are thieves and liars. I have met some great ones over the years that have become really great friends. Its just hard to weed out the bad ones sometimes. So, be careful and check what they say to save yourself from a terrible disaster!



I hope if anything by me posting this that I will have helped another artist save themselves from becoming a victim. Our work is hard earned and not easy to do some days. Your name, creditability, and work is on the line. Protect it, cherish it, and earn it in a honest way and you will get the right success you deserve!! After all our work is our greatest gift. Ours to own and to be proud of!


Much love and hugs,


JOY   

6 comments:

  1. I love this post. I hate that this happened to you, but you are right. You cannot trust everyone. Its sad some people are users but its the truth. And good people just cant understand it bc they would never hurt anyone else. I love how you used your experience as a testimony and to help others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry this happened to you. I am always very careful with who I deal with but I think this can happen to anybody. I love that you share this story with us so we can maybe stay ahead of the game and learn from this. Great written honey! Have a fantastic day! Kisses, Sissi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for posting such great advice! This is extremely useful to someone like myself just starting in the field.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your very welcome! It's sad, but true! And I thought I was very careful, but now I am even more aware. It was a lesson learned. I still believe there are good people out there, just less of them in some places. The beauty industry can have its ups and down, Working with others that have the same goals and interests can be very helpful and a great learning experience. Always stay true to yourself, reaching your dreams!

      Delete