Friday, January 29, 2016

Weighing the PROS and CONS of FACIAL SERUMS

Hello my lovelies !
 I want to share with you what serums I have used over time. There are ones that have benefited my skin and affordable ones that don't have to break your bank!
*Before I get started, I just want to say that by any means, I am not a doctor/dermatologist/esthetician. I have taken some skincare classes through the years and read about skincare in order to become a better informed, equipped makeup artist/expert in helping my clients finding products geared to their skin type/need.
I  always test and try any product, before I suggest or refer to anyone in needing to know what is available, meeting their skincare needs and affordability. Anti-aging is very important to me as I get older.



I have several SERUMS, that I would like to share that I have tried with different benefits. Many products are available and I know it can be overwhelming sometimes in seeking the best for your skin type. I will start off by saying what I look for and what my experience has been. So, let's break it down....shall we?

Getting older and being almost 43 years old, my skin has changed through the years. With these changes,  I have had to tweak my skincare routine at times from needing less to needing more. My skin has been easy for the most part since being a teenager. I am currently more normal to dry.




My pores are very small, where I am seeing fine lines around my eye area when I smile. My face shape is naturally heart-shaped, but may appear rounded because of my fluctuationing weight issues due to my autoimmune disorder. Sometimes health issues can disrupt your skin's natural balance like myself. Our skin has many layers and not all products penetrate deeply where we need it most.

In order to get a better understanding of your skin and how it works, below is an illustration of each layer.
1. EPIDERMIS : This is the top layer of your skin, where it renews itself every month, gives your skin color, and protects your body from any harmful elements.
2. DERMIS : The second layer of your skin that produces sweat, oil, grows hair, responsible for your feel and touch, and blood flow.
3. SUBCUTANEOUS FAT : This third layer is your cushion, patting that lays over your muscles and bones helping your blood vessels and nerve cells while controlling your body temperature and storing fat.

Knowing this helps to give you a better idea in how your products will work. We need a product to not only sit on the surface, but to penetrate in building up collagen, balancing our PH level and correct while preventing any future aging.

PROS of using a SERUM:
1. A great way to brighten up dull, drab skin.....VITAMIN C is proven to give life back to your skin with a healthy more alive, GLOW. It is a potent antioxidant,  protecting your skin from sun damage and pre-mature aging. Also, it helps to boost collagen and reduce brown spots, inflammation,  and irritation.
2. FIRMING your skin. Yes, you heard right! Serums can help to firm your skin especially if they contain HYALURONIC ACID , firming, lifting, and smoothing skin.

3. REVITALIZE and REPAIR your skin. Another great ingredient to look for is COENZYME Q-10. This powerful ingredient is naturally found in your skin, but can decrease as we age. It helps to rebuild elastin, collagen, and repair keeping your skin looking youthful!

All three products above contain the top 3 ingredients that most serums include to be the most effective in repairing, preventing, revitilizing, and firming the skin.

CONS of using SERUMS:
1. If your skin is SENSITIVE or allergic to said ingredients. It is best to test a small area of your skin to see if you experience burning, rashes, redness, or breakouts. Testing the product first can determine how well your skin reacts.
2. Serums that contain OTHER INGREDIENTS,  that are bad for your skin like mineral oil or petrolatum.  Those ingredients keep the skin from receiving any moisturizing benefits.
3. COST. There is nothing more frustrating than buying a product that doesn't work! Any good product can vary in cost, so buy one that contains ingredients that are known to work.

Here are two other serums that I used as well with much success.


I hope this information helps you in choosing a serum that meets your skincare needs. As always, feel free to leave a comment if you have any questions or suggestions on other products that works great for you! Thank you, for reading!

Much love and hugs,

JOY

TAGS#antiaging, #serums, #skincare

No comments:

Post a Comment